Friday, February 7, 2014

Captain's Log: a soldier/dad's point of view


LOOK OUT!!! MY BLOG HAS BEEN INVADED!!! ;P lol, nope I just hit a dry season in writing & asked the hubby if he would take a shot at it. I know, scary right?!? Just mess'n, he's a great writer... & I swear I didn't put him up to the last paragraph of this post, which makes it all the more <3  All sap aside, da-da-dada!!! Adam in his Helvetica font... cuz he can't have mine ;p ...Captain's Log, Post 1



Beth has handed the reins of the blog over to me for a little while until I run out of things to say, or you get tired of reading it, or she finds something to say (not sure what will happen first).  First thing is, for those of you who do not know me very well, I am not as happy go lucky as Beth.  I hope I don’t offend anyone with my posts.  I will be expressing thoughts and feelings (barf) that I normally do not, anywhere …ever, at any time. 
I wanted to explain some thought processes that occur in a father’s brain when autism is diagnosed.  The feelings that follow, and, in my cases, the anger that ensues.
In 2008, just like Beth, when we got the diagnosis for our twin boys, I had no idea what autism was, what caused it, or how to treat it.  I thought that some magic pills or quick therapy would take care of it.  I was very emotionless when I found out, partly because I was just reintegrating back home from my first “lovely” trip to Iraq.  I had no idea what I was in for and it was probably better that way (I still have no idea).  “Fixing it” was my plan but I had no way of executing it (the plan, not the…. well you know).  I thought “no big deal, not sure what autism is, but we can fix it, right?”  To my horror, this mechanic cannot fix autism.  After the realization hit that I could not fix my sons, I became angry.  I was already angry from just serving a year in combat while others did not, in a war that… well… I may discuss that in another post… anyways, I was angry.  Then I just became numb.  Numb to Carson, numb to the twins, numb to our newborn daughter, and most harmful of all, I became numb to Beth.  I was powerless, confused, ashamed, bitter, and angry.  No one to blame, no one to fight, and no one could help.  At this point I wish I could say that I reconnected with God and He led me to a better place and all is well, but I can’t.  Combat and autism have brought me to the lowest state I could have imagined, even to questioning the existence of God.
However, there has been some personal growth that I would not have had if I missed out on autism (the jury is still out on the “good” of combat).  My measure of success has been dramatically altered.  For example, if Devyn just tastes a different food other than one of his six staple things, we get very excited.  Every time Devyn talks unprompted, I regain some motivation and even smile.  Instead of having a larger TV, nicer truck, a man cave, or any “normal” goals a man might have, I throw money at an additional therapy or something, hopefully fun, that all of us can do together.  I am not saying that there is anything wrong with those goals… it’s just not for me.
Another positive is that autism keeps me thinking about what is next, looking forward.  In the army I have learned to plan, and plan, and plan some more about what might go wrong with the other plans.  This has helped tremendously in the world of autism because I have had to fix things I would never have imagined before.  For example, the twins got a renovated room over Christmas break.  It was not what I had planned.  I am probably one of the only people in America that is putting up paneling while everyone else is tearing it down.  The reason I put up paneling is that Devyn hopefully won’t bust through it as easily & it should prevent him from chewing on something not good for him, like drywall.  This is just one of many stories.
Finally, it has kept me focused on here and now.  Beth and I have had to discuss the possibilities of inpatient programs and other scenarios.  We talked about when, why, and where do you draw the line as far as safety for the boys and the family.  We have a unique ability to discuss heart-wrenching topics very matter-a-fact like in a similar way other couples discuss vacation plans or sporting events the kids are apart of.  This is one reason that I am still angry.  I am not angry with God, the twins, Beth, or anyone… just angry.
I don’t think I have ever asked the “why” …however, I have asked on many occasions the “what now?”  Sometimes it is a hopeful “what’s next” but most of the time its “how am I going to fix that and how much is it going to be to fix and how do I stop it from happening again?” 
Unlike Beth, I probably will not be ending posts with an upbeat sense of the future.  There are times… most times to be honest… I just struggle to get through the hours of a day and try not to think about “what’s next”.  I have added a step to the grieving process, or taken away one, apathy.  It is very difficult to get out of when you have been stuck in it for so many years.  Beth is amazing and loves me no matter how bitter, angry, and apathetic I am most days, but I am slowly digging my way out.    


  Couldn't resist: Second deploy, on leave.
 That smile says it all :D

No comments:

Post a Comment